- Add a huge range of sash (double hung) windows to your building models.
Generate and automatically fit a huge range of sash (double hung) window designs using this parametric; e.g. 14 user defined parameters, windows builder. Each sash within the window frame is a separate piece of geometry and can be animated, if required.
This tool generates and places multiple sash windows, of the same type and size, at once with a maximum of 50 at a time. In addition, basic materials and partnames are automatically assigned to save you time and to aid selection.
You can also use this tool to build a horizontal slider type window. See tips section, below.
- Select one mesh item
- Select one or more quad polygons (of the same size)
- Set options
- Click “Build and Fit Windows”
The window contains two sashes. This value determines how much of the space inside the frame is assigned to each of the sashes. Changing this value allows you to create large sash windows with a historical apperance. Most modern sash (double hung) windows use a 50/50 split.
Controls how far the sashes are inset from the front of the window frame. Use a value greater than 13mm (1/2 inch) to add definition to the windows - 25mm (1 inch) is a good starting point.
The thickness of the frame around each sash within the main window frame.
The thickness of the bottom (rail) of the lower sash. To create a more attractive window use a value greater than the “Sash Frame Size”
The overlap between the top (upper) and bottom (lower) sash can be set to be the same or half of the size of the “Sash Frame Size” value.
Set the thickness (depth) of the glass. For single glazed windows like these a value between 3mm and 6mm is appropriate.
- 2 (2 x 1)
- 3 (3 x 1)
- 4 (4 x 1)
- 4 (2 x 2)
- 6 (3 x 2)
- 6 (2 x 3)
- 8 (4 x 2)
- 9 (3 x 3)
- 12 (4 x 3)
- 12 (3 x 4)
- 16 (4 x 4)
- You can build slider type windows using the technique shown in the video below.
- You can divide the individual panes of the window geometry using mARCH's handy Muntins/Glazing Bars tool.
Note: The video below shows an older version of the sash windows UI (formerly known as “Windo” for modo).
- 20-Jun-14: Setting the preference values for Copy and Paste, under Mesh Items, will interfere with the operation of this script. You will have to manually disable these options before using the Sash Windows scripts, for the time being. This issue will be resolved in the next update/release.
- The size of the window is taken from the height and width of the first selected polygon. The remaining polygons in your selection are only used as position/orientation locators.
- This script only supports building of rectangular windows.
- Selected polygons must be quads i.e. must contain 4 vertices.
- Does not support X-up axis coordinate space; Switch to Y-up or Z-up before using this script.